Tuesday, August 15, 2006

All I Want From My Video Game System

Yeah, it's been a long time since my last post. Sue me. Anyway, I've been thinking, and although I've been a hardcore gamer since Atari and Intellivision, there's always been something missing from my gaming life. Seamless gaming at home and on handheld. Sure, the technology hasn't always been there, but I think it's here now. For instance, 'Tomb Raider: Legend' is basically the same game on the PSP as it is on the other consoles and PC. That's all fine and good, but it's time for the next step

Here's what I propose: Make a game that I can start on my home console (PS3, X360, Wii, whatever), and continue on my handheld from where I left off. Now, I understand that now all gamers may not have both the handheld and the home system, so the game would have to be available seperately for both platforms. What the game companies need to do is offer the game at full price, and include a '60% off' coupon for the same game on it's sister platform. Additionally, they need to include some type of 'crosstalk' feature (similar to what Sony did with 'SOCOM 3' on PS2 and 'SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo' on PSP) so you could swap game save information back and forth.

Just imagine...sitting at home, playing the latest RPG on your PS3 when you look at the clock and remember that you have a plane to catch in 3 hours. You save your game, download the save data to your PSP, and run out the door secure in the knowledge that you'll still be able to make progress on that 60+ hour monster of a game while you're at the airport, on the plane, and even in the hotel at your destination. And then, when you get home again, you can download the save data from your PSP back to your PS3 and continue the adventure.

Will everyone be willing to buy the same game twice (even if there is a deep discount on the second copy)? Probably not. But since most games have a handheld port anyway, they might as well throw in the crosstalk feature for those of us who would entertain having seemless gameplay. A true "Play Anywhere" experience.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If at first you don't succeed try, try and try again. I am in line with you on this topic, and i am totally agree with you. However, different views should also be allowed, right? We can make progress when hearing from others' thoughts. runescape gold

runescape gold for sale

rs gold

China tours said...

What a beautiful dragonfly and what wonderful post!!I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: China and Asia tour packages | China vacation packages