Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Comics and the 30something Geek

About 2 months ago, I broke up with my local comic store.  I just couldn't fucking take it anymore.  I had a hold slot (in-store subscription, if you didn't know) with these bastards, and they just kept failing to hold the books that I specified.  The worst part is that I only went to the damned place once every 40-50 days, so by the time I realized that they had missed a month (or two), I was already screwed.  I don't have time to try to hunt down back-issues, and I shouldn't friggin have to because you told me you'd hold the damned things for me!

So, screw them.  I broke up with them, but not before I heard about this awesome place called DCBS (Discount Comic Book Service...you're welcome for the plug).  Now, this is a service that was made for people like me -- no time to troll the comic store, no time to bs with people missing my damned books, and best of all, each and every book is deeply discounted.  Like, at least 40% off.  Yeah, I know -- it's stupid.

Now, I get Marvel, Image, and DC delivered to my front door every 2 weeks, and I'm saving ridiculous money even when you factor in the shipping charge (it's cheaper to get one package per month, but you also run a greater risk of the friggin internet spoiling a story for you).  Sure, I still visit a brick and mortar store (not the one I broke up with) to buy a few one-offs, but the vast majority of my comic dollar is spent at DCBS.

In closing, if you get comics, and you're not going through DCBS, you're wasting your money.

No comments: