Thursday, September 08, 2005

Alex Ross

Most, if not all, comic book fans know who Alex Ross is.  He's an incredible artist who creates photo-realistic images, and he's done it for just about every major (and a lot of minor) superhero out there from the Big 2. 

Waaaaay back when I first started collecting, I had no idea who the artists or writers were; and, quite frankly, I didn't really care.  Then one day I read 'The Uncanny X-Men', and it was so amazing, that I felt compelled to know who created it.  A quite glance showed that it was Chris Clermont (writer) and Jim Lee (artist).  From that moment forward, I would study the credits and loyally follow my favorite creators to whatever book they were working on at the time.  I've followed Clermont, Lee, McFarlane, Campbell, Vigil, Dixon, Grayson, Bendis, and Kirkman just to name a few (a very few, in fact).  I sought them out at conventions, I read their interviews, and I bought hundreds of their books.  Then along comes Alex Ross, and I just about crap my pants.  Holy crap, this guy is good.  Really good.  I couldn't wait to read one of his interviews. 

And then I did.  Then I read another.  And another.  And then I came to the conclusion that Alex Ross is an ass.  Just a total jerk.  Keep in mind that I've never met the man or anything like that, but almost everything that comes out of his mouth is just sheer jackassery.  He comes off like he's some kind of comic god, and everything he says is right --- without question.  We're all just lowly fanboys, groveling at his feet.  The rest of the comic industry?  Feh!  The movie industry?  Bah!  They're all fools when put next to the almighty Ross.  Whatever, man.

Sure, he doesn't like G.W. Bush, and I totally agree with him on that.  Sure, his art is still as amazing as ever --- hell, even more amazing.  But the fact still remains that he's just a comic book artist, and he needs to get over himself.  Just a comic book artist.  That's all.

No comments: